Mellkoh

Mellkoh

SPOILER ALERT!

Flight Behavior

Flight Behavior - Barbara Kingsolver This is a book of our time. One that tackles the debate over global warming head on. I found this book to be very interesting and thought provoking and found the Ms. Kingsolver's arguments and analogies were spot on.

Take for example, when Ovid was speaking with a reporter who felt that scientist weren't able to indicate the exact effects of global warming... "We brush our teeth, for instance, even though we do not know exactly how many cavities we may be avoiding." Further along on the page... "The Arctic in genuinely collapsing. Scientists used to call these things the canary in the mine. What they say now is, The canary is dead. We are at the top of Niagra Falls, Tina, in a canoe. There is an image for your viewers. We got here by drifting, but we cannot turn around for a lazy paddle back when you finally stop pissing around. We have arrived at the point of an audible roar. Does it strike you as a good time to debate the existence of the falls?" These sum up the situation quite succinctly, don't you think?

There is an underlying story of Dellarobia's unhappy marriage that is mildly interesting. I did find myself glossing over some of that drama. But the story (completely fictional) of the butterflies and their plight and the reason they are in the Appalachia at all, is a good one in my mind, and I very much enjoyed this read!!! The story completely plausible, especially in light of all the crazy weather that is constantly happening all around us, right now in the Phillipines for example!

I believe this is a book that should be added to the curriculum of high school students every where!!